Ciego de Avila City
Exploring Ciego de Avila City
Ciego de Avila City head of the province of the same name. It is located in the centre of the Calcareous plain from Júcaro to Morón or Trocha plain.
History of the city
Founded in 1840, the city grew up originally in the 1860s and ’70s as a military town behind the defensive Morón–Júcaro (Trocha) line; it later became an important processing center for the region’s lucrative sugarcane and pineapple crops (the pineapple is the local mascot). Ciego’s inhabitants refer to their city as ‘the city of porches,’ a reference to the ornate, colonnaded house-fronts which characterize the center.
Famous avileños include Cuban pop-art exponent Raúl Martínez and local socialite Ángela Hernández, the rich widow of Señor Jiménez who helped finance many of the city’s early 20th-century neoclassical buildings, including the Teatro Principal.
Ciego are currently Cuba’s best baseball team, having won the national series thrice since 2012.
- Parque de la Ciudad
- Museo Provincial Simón Reyes
- Museo de Artes Decorativas
- Parque Martí
- Centro de Promoción Cultural Guiarte
- Iglesia Católica
- Plano-Mural de Ciego de Ávila City
Museo de Artes Decorativas
Cuba’s most beautiful beds? Not in Varadero, nor in one of the island’s classic colonial stop-offs, but downstairs at this modest museum. The thoughtful collection contains items from a bygone age, such as a working Victrola (Benny Moré serenades your visit) and antique pocket watches. Up top, the exhibits impress with ornate oriental art: check the striking Chinese screen.
Plano-Mural de Ciego de Ávila city
A bronze map of the city in the late-19th century is stuck on the side of a building, and it marks the site of its founding on June 26, 1840.
Looking out over the main square, Parque Martí is Ciego’s town hall dating from 1911. Visitors are not allowed inside.