El Cobre Cuba
Exploring El Cobre
El Cobre in Cuba is popular council located 22 km away, bordered on the north by the municipality of San Luis and the town of Boniato.
To the south with the municipality Guama and the Popular Council Agüero-Mar Verde. To the east with the Agüero-Mar Verde Popular Council, José Marti District and to the west with the Dos Palmas Popular Council.
In the first quarter of the 16th century, the existence of copper was discovered on a hill called El Cardenillo, some four leagues from the town.
Although it should be noted that the first attempts at exploitation were unsuccessful, arising from the impossibility of melting the metal, due to the lack of technicians or experts in casting.
After several attempts, including the Flemish Gaspar Lomans or Lomanes, the most fruitful stage was that of the German Juan Tezel, who managed to extract and melt copper. But his company was in the market due to serious disagreements with the authorities of the city council and the neighbors of Santiago de Cuba.
From this moment the first settlers began to settle in the valley close to the mines in the land irrigated by a stream and that turns out to be definitively the point of location that has the present town. Its original name Santiago del Prado is the presumable result of its proximity to Santiago de Cuba and the fact that it is spread over a meadow.
Places of Interest
- Monumento Al Cimarrón
- Basílica de Nuestra Señora del Cobre
Stunning as it materializes above the village of El Cobre Cuba, is most revered religious site shimmers against the verdant hills behind. Recently renovated – along with many other of Cuba’s churches – the church’s interior is impressive: light, but not ostentatious with some vivid stained glass. The existing basilica dates to 1927, though a sanctuary has existed on this site since 1648. There’s an unending line of pilgrims, many of whom will have traveled from as far as the US.
Visitors of El Cobre in Cuba maintain a respectful silence and light prayer candles (purchased outside). La Virgen resides in a glass case high above the altar. For such a powerful entity, she’s absolutely diminutive, some 40cm from crown to the hem of her golden robe. Check out the fine Cuban coat of arms in the center, a wondrous work of embroidery.
Most of the donations left here (crutches no longer needed, awards gained through prayer) have been removed. In a small chapel at the side of the basilica, there’s a small collection drawn from thousands of offerings giving thanks for favors bestowed by the Virgin. Signed baseballs, a TV, a thesis, a tangle of stethoscopes, a raft inner-tube sculpture (suggesting they made it across the Florida Straits safely) and floor-to-ceiling clusters of teeny metal body parts crowd the room.