Exploring the province
Holguin is the third largest province of Cuba, with an extension that represents 8.6 % of the total surface of the island, counting with 14 municipalities in which 1112 population settlements are located, of them 43 urban.
Although Holguin was traditionally an agricultural region, it is currently one of the main industrial zones of Cuba. Called the land of nickel, its production provides 20% of the country’s economic income from exports.
Tourism has reached a remarkable development in recent years. It is considered the third most important tourist pole in the country. It has many natural attractions and par excellence an incomparable beauty in its fields and beaches.
History of Holguin
The foundation of the city of San Isidoro de Holguin is due to the fact that Don Francisco García Holguin was awarded as a prize for his actions in the conquest of Mexico a royal grant through which the territories located to the south of the fence, between the rivers he called Fernando and Isabel today Jigüe y Marañon, which was the name given by the aborigines, passed to his property. In 1545 García Holguin, his wife Doña Isabel Fernández de Sandoval and some followers founded the first hamlet, for which they used the natives of the area.
Historians claim that García Holguin returned to Mexico where he owned extensive properties and died on these lands. From this first halo, the Managuaco, Los Guazumas (Guasimas), Las Cuevas, Cayo Llano, etc. were formed around him. On April 3, 1720, vespers of San Isidoro, the church of this name was inaugurated, placing it also under the invocation of Our Lady of the Rosary, to which the chapel was dedicated to the right of the new temple.
- Historic Center of Gibara
- Maita Jet
- Bariay Key
- Farallones of Seboruco
- Lucrecia Lighthouse
- Moa and Urbano Noris
- Loma de la Cruz
- Holguin Parks
- Estero Ciego Playa Esmeralda
- Don Lino
- Puerto Rico in Banes
- Morales and Corinthia
- Places of archaeological interest (El Chorro de Maita de Banes and Nipe Bay)
- Historic Site of Biran. Birthplace of Fidel Castro Ruz, Raul Castro Ruz and their brothers in Birán, Cueto, Holguin Cuba.
- Bitirí Natural Bridge located in Cueto.
- Parque Nacional Pico Cristal
This municipality is the head of the province of the same name, with a territorial extension of 655.9 square kilometers and a population of approximately 344,428 inhabitants, which includes urban and rural areas.
Guardalavaca was one of the first places visited by Christopher Columbus upon his arrival on the island. During the XVI and XVII centuries it was a refuge for the corsairs and pirates of the region. This area was also the seat of the so-called rescue trade, which was the name given by the locals to the smuggling with buccaneers made the skins of cattle in exchange for European goods. With the opening of the country in the 1990s, due to the collapse of the USSR, this region saw an accelerated economic growth, began to build numerous luxury hotels and all the necessary tourist infrastructure such as restaurants, shops, SPA’s, among others. Today Guardalavaca has become the third tourist hub of Cuba, only behind Havana and Varadero, with hundreds of hotel and extrahotel capacities, a transport system of last generation, and relatively high standards of living of the population due to increased employment in the service sector.
On January 16, 1817, by means of a solemn ceremony, the first stone of the Fort of San Fernando was placed on the tip of Yarey next to the Bay of Gibara, now known as the Battery of Fernando VII, which gave origin to the town, protected by the security that this defensive work began to inspire in its inhabitants. That date has always been considered as the founding date of the town, which later evolved to become a town and currently head city of the municipality.